Friday, April 27, 2012
I am pretty excited about these tanks because Leman Russes are known to be really tough tanks that pack a serious punch in 40k. They also look really awesome. After the success of weathering my Hellhound I decided to jump to these next. I know I said I was going to paint more Cryx... I will, just not right now. I've had these sitting in a bag on a shelf for far too long and just couldn't hold back anymore. As far as finishing them, it will have to be one at a time, the oil paint phase takes so long that I can only bear to do one at a time. So hopefully my next post will be of one of these babies finished. Now, on to the decals....
Friday, April 13, 2012
For the dirt I used Forge World Light Earth weathering powder which I made into a wash with some rubbing alcohol. I tried to get it into the tracks as much as possible and then along the tops of some areas to look like dried dirt or dust. I also flicked some mud around the track areas and front of the tank. When the dirt dried I shaved a pencil down and coated my finger in graphite. I rubbed my finger along the tracks and some other raised areas to bring the metal color out from under the dirt. I chose to do this instead of drybrushing because it lets you sort of rub the dirt off in areas where you want the metal underneath to show through.
Overall the model looks nice but a bit sloppy, and a little too dark. From arms distance it looks pretty sweet though ;)
Saturday, April 7, 2012
The decals are from the Death Korps of Krieg decal sheet. They work like any other decal sheet except that the whole sheet is a decal and you must cut them to the size you want. I ran into a bit of trouble getting them to stick flush to the model's surface. Long story short I wound up painting on some Citadel Gloss Varnish over the decals and stabbed them a few times with my exacto knife so the varnish could settle under them. This took most of the bubble look away from them and should hold them in really well. After I was satisfied I sponged on some greys to make the decals look worn. Next I sprayed some varnish on to prepare for the oil paint phase.