Saturday, April 7, 2012

Imperial Guard Hellhound Part 2



I got some more work done on the Hellhound. In the above photos you can see I've added decals all around, sponged on some more chipped paint and rust, and washed some rust into the tracks. For the rust I mixed up some Citadel Scorched Brown and Forge World Orange Rust weathering powder with some water to thin it down a bit. I started by dipping a piece of foam into the mixture and dabbing it on here and there. I then took my brush and flicked some rust spots over the top and into the tracks. Finally I thinned my mixture a bit more and washed it into the cracks of the track.
The decals are from the Death Korps of Krieg decal sheet. They work like any other decal sheet except that the whole sheet is a decal and you must cut them to the size you want. I ran into a bit of trouble getting them to stick flush to the model's surface. Long story short I wound up painting on some Citadel Gloss Varnish over the decals and stabbed them a few times with my exacto knife so the varnish could settle under them. This took most of the bubble look away from them and should hold them in really well. After I was satisfied I sponged on some  greys to make the decals look worn. Next I sprayed some varnish on to prepare for the oil paint phase.
And here we are with a current photo. For this stage I mixed up some Ivory Black and Burnt Umber oil paints with white spirits to thin them down to the consistency of a wash. I then applied this wash to all of the rivets and cracks on the model being careful not to be too sloppy. By the time I finished the whole model, the part I started with was dry enough to start manipulating. I cleaned my brush off and dampened it with white spirits only. Then I softened up the paint on the rivets and started dragging it downward to look like rain streaks over time. Some of it turned out pretty damn good while other parts are lacking. The best part about using oil paints is that I can go back and fix any of it at any time (until it completely dries). So I will go back and clean up some of the streaks to make them look better. I might try to airbrush white spirits over certain parts of it to see what effect it has. At any rate when I finish the oil paint I'll spray another coat of varnish over it so I don't rub the paint off.

No comments:

Post a Comment