Monday, March 26, 2012

Re-finished Withershadow Combine

I've added highlights and some ambient glow along with bases on these guys. Still not really satisfied though, I'm thinking I should have used two different colors on the robes to bring them out more. Well it's never to late to slap another coat of paint over the black.

Friday, March 23, 2012

Imperial Guard Hellhound

That's right, it's not a Cryx mini for once, hehe. I've been drooling over the Forge World Model Masterclass vol 1 for quite a while now. I have a small Death Korps of Krieg army that I have collected over the last year simply because of how cool the models look. I haven't played Warhammer 40k in many years, but I am still a fan. Anyway I've decided to jump in and start painting some of my tanks. These are just the beginning stages here so don't expect to see anything too fancy. Also, I got an airbrush for Christmas last year and the weather is finally starting to warm up enough to go out on the patio and use it.

When I first got my airbrush I took this tank outside and sprayed it Codex Grey, then took some masking tape and created a striped camo pattern. I mixed up some Codex Grey with Adeptus Battlegrey and sprayed the stripes. Shortly after that I began work on the tracks, just Chaos Black with some Boltgun Metal lightly brushed over it. The black marks on the lighter grey parts were from the tape when I removed it. I didn't feel the need to clean it up since I will be taking a sponge to it next and adding some 'chipped paint' effects.

In these last three pics you can see that I've chipped up the paint a bit. I've also sprayed a few colors on; Fortress Grey over some of the Codex Grey areas to diffuse it a bit, Kommando Khaki around some panels and tracks to filth it up a bit, and finally some Chaos Black to add some more shading/depth. This is where it's at right now, I still have to go back to base coating and finish up some of the extras; guns, eagles, skullwing things. After I finish base coating all of the parts I am going to spray it with varnish and put some decals on it, then it's all about shading with oil paints. It's a pretty exciting piece for me since I am using a lot of new techniques and tools.
I'm still focusing on my Cryx army until Lock and Load comes but maybe I can sneak this guy in during the next few months. More to come.

Warwitch Deneghra

Here is a close-up of my Warwitch Deneghra. I've added more highlight, green glow on her visor, some moss, front arc and some lip color. I'm glad to finally have a front arc painted on this model. She is pointing and looking away from here default front arc (when no arc is painted you go by the models shoulder positioning) which made it very confusing to remember exactly where she was supposed to be facing. I'm a little surprised that I didn't just paint front arcs sooner.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Warwitch Siren

Here is my Warwitch Siren. Certainly lacking a focal point, not sure what to change about it. I may have to do some major changes to this model, or perhaps strip it and start over. I have been thinking about buying a second Warwitch Siren though so maybe I'll leave this one and just paint another to be more colorful. Perhaps some browns on the leather parts instead of black. Maybe a different color for the skirt thing.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012


Here is my Skarlock. The model was done using a base coat of black and drybrushing many layers of greys. Pretty basic stuff. I've brushed a light touch of white over the most raised features to bring them out a bit more. The only thing I can think of doing to make this look better is perhaps trying to make a glow effect from the green 'spirit' thing.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012


Here are my two Deathrippers from the Cryx Battlegroup Box. I have added a fair amount of oil paint to their joints and rivets as well as finishing their bases. I'm really liking the subtle effect that oil paints are adding. They just seem a bit more grimy, less shiny and new, less fresh off the production line. I may have to try and add some 'chipped paint' type effects on the hard edges.

Monday, March 19, 2012

Re-finished Pistol Wraith

Loving the way this guy turned out now. I have added more highlight, front arc, moss and some touch-ups. I'm probably going to go through all of my previous Cryx minis before I get too far on some of the stuff I have half-painted. Also, photos in the sunlight make a big difference.

Re-finished Bile Thralls

More love for the Bile Thralls. I fixed up their bases with front arcs and moss. I also mixed up some burnt umber and black oil paint and thinned it with white spirits. I took that mixture and spread it around the cracks of the metal parts and along the seams of their collars. After it dried up a bit I tried to streak it with my paintbrush. It didn't turn out exactly as I wanted it too but I still think it looks better than it did before. It's more grimy/oily looking now, which I like.

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Re-finished Bane Thralls with Tartarus

     Hello everyone, I've been saying that I would go back and add highlights to some of my stuff. I have the first batch of re-finished minis done and photos taken. Here they are. I would like to put some 'before and after' photos together but I don't think it's all that necessary. And in addition to re-finishing a lot of guys I also finished up my last four Bane thralls, so I have a full unit now. I decided to go ahead and two-tone my bases so that the front arcs are clearly visible, and added some moss here and there to add more contrast.